Assistant Director, Entrepreneur and Ecosystem Empowerment
TEDCO is an independent entity, established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1998, to facilitate the creation of businesses and foster their growth in all regions of the State. TEDCO’s role is to be Maryland’s leading source of funding for technology commercialization and seed capital and to provide other entrepreneurial business assistance to early-stage technology businesses. TEDCO connects emerging technology companies with federal laboratories, research universities, business incubators and specialized technical assistance.
The Entrepreneur and Ecosystem Empowerment (E3) Assistant Director is expected to perform in a highly responsible and ethical manner with a minimum of direction and manage his/her own time such that the responsibilities of the position are effectively performed. Frequently require a significant portion of time in the field working directly with entrepreneurs and ecosystem stakeholders. The E3 Assistant Director will work with the entire team to increase the scope, reach, professionalism, and impact of the department while putting into place performance metrics that quantify the outcomes associated with individual elements of TEDCO’s activities and initiatives. The Advisory Services Assistant Director will, in concert with the entire team, manage and continually improve the department’s initiatives so it will meet client company expectations, while also ensuring a high level of satisfaction on the part of the assisted entrepreneurs, and the associated volunteers and consultants.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work with the entire TEDCO staff to create individual elements of an integrated Ecosystem Support Initiative and to actively promote that Initiative throughout the Maryland innovation community.
- Work with TEDCO staff members to determine which companies within TEDCO’s portfolio are a) at a position in their development where they are likely to benefit from the assistance of outside resources, and b) have needs that are aligned with the resources available via TEDCO.
- Assist in screening pre-seed investment applications against TEDCO’s selection criteria.
- When needed, assist the investment team in reviewing company pitches.
- Provide outreach support designed to generate a pipeline of high-quality investment opportunities. Direct entrepreneurs to TEDCO’s application portal(s) and resources.
- Assist in developing future TEDCO entrepreneurial focused resources.
- Provide entrepreneur assistance and mentoring, as needed.
- Participate in ecosystem events (often as a judge, speaker, or panelist).
- Act as a TEDCO liaison for ecosystem organizations like the Maryland Business Incubator Association (MBIA) and Maryland Tech Council (MTC).
Actively participate in the following activities and events:
- Prelude Pitches
- Investor Readiness Workshop
- Manage TEDCO’s Network Advisor program and mentor matching
- Over time, get to know TEDCO’s network of mentors and areas of expertise
- Match mentors to entrepreneurs based on specific needs and requests.
- Assist in screening future Network Advisor candidates.
- Update Salesforce to enable the tracking of mentoring success metrics.
General and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Participate in internal TEDCO meetings as necessary and be prepared to report on significant department activities.
- Participate in TEDCO events and TEDCO sponsored events.
- Prepare reports and requests for information in support of TEDCO’s stakeholder communications.
- Other general and administrative duties associated with managing E3 programs and ecosystem support.
- A four-year college degree and a minimum of five years’ experience working with technology-based start-ups.
- A minimum of five years’ of increasingly responsible business experience.
- Ideal candidates will have founded or co-founded a technology start-up and/or played a role in raising funds or grants.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Excellent oral and written communications skills; acute attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced and time-sensitive environment; and be a problem solver with a positive attitude and a willingness to continually learn new things.
Demonstrated proficiency as follows:
- Salesforce CRM
- The entire Microsoft Office Suite
- Virtual meeting applications like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Google Meet